Perhaps you’ve heard about omega-3 fatty acids and their presence in fish, but do you know the benefits and the best sources to get them? Worry no more, we have that info and some delicious dish suggestions that can help you get the most out of them.
What are omega-3 fatty acids?
Omega-3 fatty acids are a type of unsaturated fat and it is the type of fat the body can’t make on its own. And yeah, they are essential for the body and important for balanced nutrition.
Ok but, where can I get them?
A really good source of omega-3 fatty acids is fish. We can find them in some plants as well, but as of now, there are studies that show that the best way to get them is through the consumption of ocean fish.
What are the benefits of omega-3 fatty acids?
There are several benefits you can get from them, we made a list of some of the most important ones.
- May help to fight autoimmune diseases, like rheumatoid arthritis, type 1 diabetes, and Crohn’s disease, among others.
- Can help lower the chances of a person developing cardiovascular diseases.
- May help prevent vision impairment and other eye-related illnesses.
- Can be helpful during pregnancy and can promote brain growth and development in toddlers and young kids.
- They can reduce the symptoms of ADHD in infants.
- Can reduce inflammation, which can lead to other chronic diseases.
- May help reduce liver fat, which is a really common disease nowadays.
- May help in the development of a fetus.
- May help in brain development.
Now, for the tasty part.
What fish is high in omega-3 fatty acids?
A lot of fish have omega-3 fatty acids in them but here are some with high percentages accompanied by some dish suggestions:
Apart from being delicious, salmon is one of the highest levels of omega-3s of any fish. You can prepare a tasty pan-seared salmon and enjoy the benefits.
This type of tuna also contains high levels of omega-3 fatty acids. How does a delicious albacore tuna sandwich sound? Yum.
You can enjoy the benefits of omega-3 by consuming herring. Some delicious and easy ideas to prepare are to pickle herring fillets in wine or cream. Also, you can always make a sandwich if you’re in a rush.
Marinate them in oil and vinegar and enjoy them with some bread. These little guys are also top-level when it comes to omega-3 fatty acids.
Filleted with olive oil, salt, and lemon. Mackerel won’t disappoint when it comes to omega-3s.
Little time for cooking? No problem! Mussels are loaded with omega-3s and they are one of the easiest and fastest dishes. They even have more omega-3 fatty acids than shrimp, lobster, clams and scallops.
Nowadays Omega-3 fatty acids are also available in supplements but we always recommend to go consult a health professional before starting to take any of those supplements.
And, it’s safe to say that getting your nutrients from the primary source is always a better choice because it’ll be more bioavailable.
Let us know if you have any comments or questions about omega-3s. Follow along with our social media for more great seafood tips and tricks @7seasfishmarket .